Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Handwritten Letter, Please

When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone? I mean a hard copy, not an email. Hopefully, people are keeping in touch more via email, but I have always found it a thrill to go to the mailbox and find a handwritten letter waiting for me. Knowing that someone was thinking about me, I am sure made my day. Think of the preparation a person must do to write: decide which stationery to use, find an ink pen, locate a stamp, and then actually write the letter. I think I appreciate the effort just as much as the actual words contained on the page.

Speaking of a stamp. I have an aunt who always remembers to send out birthday and anniversary greetings. One could always count on hearing from her. One year, she had used a Missouri stamp on the card she sent me. She lives in another state and it was during the time the Post Office had issued state stamps. Just that small touch added to the value of her note.

I want to offer up a challenge. Write someone a hard copy letter in the next few weeks. Also, take note on when was the last time someone wrote you a letter. This was one of my mainstays in the classroom. My students wrote letters often. The smiles on their faces were priceless when someone wrote them back. I hope that they will remember letter writing and never let it go.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. There is something special about a handwritten note or letter. Seeing the words---written by their hand---make it more personal, and tightens the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, Barbara. The other day my grandson got a letter from his teacher welcoming him to 6th grade, and he was so excited.
    There's something about seeing my name written on an envelope that puts a smile on my face, except maybe when it's a rejection letter. (smile)
    Donna
    http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete