Monday, November 8, 2010

Grandfather's Garden

I was slicing some tomatoes for a salad. At that same moment I went back in time sitting in my grandfather's garden. Oh, he was so proud of his masterpiece. This was a collaboration in the highest sense. He knew it was the Lord who blessed his efforts. Every year something new would be added. Family and neighbors were always the recipients of his bounty. Anyway, I could recall the unique flavor of a plump, juicy, red tomato. This was pure bliss and redefined the meaning of fresh. I don't know why memories like this come flooding back when you least expect them. But as I ate my salad that day, I could not help but have a smile on my face. I thought of my grandfather. I'm sure he is on the gardening team in heaven and having a blast.

3 comments:

  1. You made my mouth salivate. Uhmm, I love home grown tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather was an incredible gardener as well. His tomatoes were best right out of the field and eaten like an apple (but with a little salt shaken on after each bite).

    My grandfather lived and breathed by the Farmer's Almanac, and always said he planted by the light of the moon. I thought that meant he was out in the middle of the night, planting. It wasn't until many years later that I found out what he really meant by that...

    It IS odd how memories can come at us, out of the blue, and take us back 20 or 30 or 40 years into the past.

    ReplyDelete