Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Confession

Today I had to bury my pride. For several days I have had a painful left foot. A few weeks earlier, the tendons in my Achilles heel on the right foot were tender due to a twisted move of my foot. So with this pain, I was compensating with my left foot. After the pain in my right foot subsided, pain in the other foot showed up. I kept putting off making an appointment to see the podiatrist. Why? I am embarrassed with the way my feet look. I will spare you a detailed description. They just weren’t pretty to look at.

The RICE method (Rest Ice Compression Elevate) helped to some degree, but in my heart of hearts, I knew I should have my feet examined. The thought came to me that I’m sure the doctor has seen many more feet in worse shape than mine. I made an appointment, went in, had x-rays taken, and waited to hear the results.

The doctor is wonderful. I had gone to him five years earlier for another foot issue. He has a great bedside manner and is very informative. He did not bat an eye during the exam. He told me what to do and wants to see me in two weeks. He believes I have a stress fracture even though it did not show up on the x-ray. I was also given some cream that should “cure” my other foot issues, and given a procedure to make my nails look so much better.

I kick myself (no pun intended) for allowing my pride to delay treatment. I need to search my heart and see if pride is keeping me from taking any other important steps.

Moral of my story: Avoid letting pride keep you from making necessary changes for the best.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't the phrase, "Pride goeth before the fall?" or something like that...

    Thankfully, your pride left before your problematic feet made you literally fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb,

    Yasmin here. I hope your foot feels better soon. Thanks for reminding us that pride and fear often get in the way of our doing what's best. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your feet issues, Barb! I can really relate, though. I hate my feet. Actually, I just hate feet in general. I know, I know, where would we be without them? But I happen to think feet are the ugliest part of the human body, and mine are no exception. Glad you worked up the nerve to go to the doctor, though. If I'm ever in your boat, I'll have to take courage from your experience!

    ReplyDelete