Friday, October 1, 2010

A Grandmother

I am a grandmother.
What does that mean exactly?
It means I have a title.
My daughters have children.
That makes me Grandma.
Yes, I bake cookies, send money, babysit, and more.
But other people do that you say.
True, but I have a title.
Depending on the age of the child, my title changes.
I am Mammaw.
I am Nana.
I am Grandmom.
My title may change but my love is a grandmother's love.
I give Grandma kisses.
I get to know secrets no one else knows.
My macaroni and cheese is the best.
Yes, I am a grandmother, now and forever.

3 comments:

  1. I love your poem! I am a fellow Saturday Writers member and just thought I would check out your blog! :) It's really nice!!! :)

    Margo Dill
    http://margodill.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb--

    It IS nice being a grammy. Just yesterday evening, we had a family get-together, and Riley was waiting for Grammy because she wanted me to dig in the dirt with her.

    Being a grandparent gives us a chance to step out of the hectic loop of day-to-day survival--we worrry about grandparent things, not parent things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem, Barb! I am not yet a grandmother, but someday I hope to make the best macaroni and cheese ever, too. :)

    ReplyDelete